You have to cancel or change your trip

Things don't always go to plan - here's what to do when you have to cancel or change your trip.          


What to do

  • Where you have no other alternative but to rearrange or cancel your bookings, you must do so without delay. Also, be sure to minimise your costs.

  • Contact the airline or other operator as soon as possible for information on alternative arrangements available and any compensation they offer and/or pay to you.

  • Where you can’t rearrange some or all of your travel plans, you must cancel them as soon as possible; otherwise we may not cover any additional costs that arise as a result of any delay.

  • Prior to travel, the cost to rearrange cannot be more than the cost to cancel the whole trip. Otherwise, we may not pay your claim or we'll reduce how much we pay.

  • Get a report of the event in writing, including a report from the police or another independent authority, to verify what’s happened.


Minimum documentation required to support your claim


2.1 – You (or someone else listed on your policy) is sick, injured or dies before your trip starts; or

2.2 – Your flight, other scheduled transport or overnight tour is delayed, cancelled or rescheduled before your trip starts


Collect the following:

  • Written confirmation of what happened from the airline, other carrier or tour operator; and

  • Details of any alternative arrangements or compensation offered by the airline, other carrier or tour operator (also in writing); and

  • Receipts and expenses incurred.


2.3 – A one-off performance or function, such as a wedding, is cancelled or rescheduled before your trip starts

As soon as you know that your one-off performance or function might be impacted, you must contact the organiser:

  • For public events (such as a sporting event), you must get written confirmation from the organiser of the reason for the change and any alternative arrangements or compensation they offer;

  • For weddings, get a copy of the confirmation of the cancellation from the reception venue/service provider;

  • Provide receipts for expenses incurred.


2.4 - Your pre-approved leave is cancelled or you’re made redundant before your trip starts

  1. If leave has been cancelled, you must provide written confirmation of this from the employer, and a copy of the original leave application along with the authorised leave approval.

  2. In the event of redundancy – you must obtain confirmation in writing from the employer of when notification of the redundancy was first received.

  3. Provide receipts for expenses incurred.


2.5 - Someone at home or your travelling companion (not listed on your policy) is sick, injured or dies

Collect the following:

  • A completed GP’s Medical Certificate from the affected person’s medical practitioner. You may download a copy of a medical certificate as:; and

  • Hospital admission reports (if the affected person was admitted to hospital); and

  • A copy of the death certificate (in the case of death); and

  • Any other reports that are relevant to the circumstances, such as a ambulance report or police report (if either were involved).

  • Receipts for expenses incurred.  

In some cases, we may need to obtain the past medical history of the injured/ill party from their usual GP and/or other medical practitioners and specialists. We’ll let you know if this is the case.

2.6 – You can no longer stay at your accommodation

Collect the following:

  • Written confirmation of what happened from the accommodation provider; and

  • Details of any alternative arrangements or compensation offered by the accommodation provider (also in writing); and

  • Receipts for expenses incurred.

2.7 – Your home in Australia is severely damaged

1. Obtain a report that your house is uninhabitable from either:

  • The fire department,

  • The local council,

  • Your insurance company,

  • A registered structural engineer,

  • A building surveyor,

  • A building inspector, or

  • A registered building practitioner.

2. Provide receipts for expenses incurred.


2.8 – Your travel services provider becomes insolvent

1. Get a report from your travel service provider confirming:

  • They are insolvent, and

  • The date on which they advised you of their insolvency.


2. Provide receipts for expenses incurred.

Last Updated: Feb 16, 2017 02:14PM AEDT

Contact Us

Talk to us

From Australia 1300 787 376


Call +61 2 9234 3113
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found
© SureSave Pty Limited ABN 82 137 885 262 AR 339902 is an authorised representative of nib Travel Services (Australia) Pty Ltd ABN 81 115 932 173, AFS Licence No. 308461. This is general advice and you should consider if this product suits your needs. Before you buy, please read the Product Disclosure Statement available from us. This insurance is underwritten by XL Insurance Company SE, Australia branch (ABN 36 083 570 441).