Your rental vehicle is in an accident, damaged or stolen

A guide to what you should do when something happens to your rental vehicle.


What to do

If the police won't issue you with a written report, ask for a reference/ event number and get their contact details so that we can contact them directly.

Report the incident to the rental company

Tell the rental company what's happened, and ask them what you need to do next.
Get a written report from them about what's happened, and keep copies of your rental agreement and any other documents they give you, including any repair quotes and administration charges.

Report the incident to the police if the vehicle is:

  • ​Stolen or in an accident - Report the theft or accident to the local police straight away, and always within 24 hours of discovery. Get a copy of the police report at that time, as you'll need it when you make a claim.

  • Damaged - follow the instructions of your rental company on whether or not you need to report the incident to the police

Get a quote for repairs

If the vehicle is damaged, get a detailed repair quote before returning the vehicle to the rental company (unless instructed otherwise by the rental company. Make sure you keep a copy of the repair quote.

Minimum documentation required to support your claim

  • Provide a copy of the police report or their reference number/ event number and contact details

  • Provide a copy of the rental vehicle agreement and damage report

  • Provide copies of damage estimates, expenses charged by the rental company and proof of  any payment made to rental company.

Last Updated: Feb 16, 2017 05:06PM AEDT

Contact Us

Talk to us

From Australia 1300 787 376


Call +61 2 9234 3113
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found
© SureSave Pty Limited ABN 82 137 885 262 AR 339902 is an authorised representative of nib Travel Services (Australia) Pty Ltd ABN 81 115 932 173, AFS Licence No. 308461. This is general advice and you should consider if this product suits your needs. Before you buy, please read the Product Disclosure Statement available from us. This insurance is underwritten by XL Insurance Company SE, Australia branch (ABN 36 083 570 441).