Travel Insurance for Motorbike riding

There is provision to claim for overseas medical expenses (including medical evacuation) should you become involved in an accident and sustain injuries whilst motorcycle riding.

You must hold an appropriate and valid licence recognised in the country you are travelling in for the motorcycle you operate, and you must obey the road rules of that country. (We also require you to be licenced in Australia to operate such motorcycle.)
By ‘appropriate’ we mean that the motorcycle and the manner in which you operate it must fall within your licencing conditions; for example, if you want to ride a 600cc motorbike then you must be licensed to do so in Australia as well as in the country where you’re riding.

Motorcycles may seem like an easy option, especially in SE Asia where everyone seems to ride one. However, greater caution should be used as you will be trying to negotiate your way through overcrowded roads that aren’t well maintained. This can be daunting for the experienced motorcycle rider and dangerous for a novice.

If you don't have a proper licence and have a crash, it’s pretty straightforward: you’re riding illegally and you’re not covered. So always be sure to check with the consulate of the country you are travelling to before you go to confirm licensing requirements.
Keep in mind that Australian law also requires you wear a helmet; failure to do so will be taking an unnecessary risk and any resulting claim may be declined.
Riding a motorcycle in Bali is also very popular.  The Visit Indonesia representatives in Australia advise that you are required by Indonesian law to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle and you will need to show a valid Australian drivers licence. International driver’s licences are not accepted in Indonesia.  Visit Indonesia can be contacted in Sydney 02 9959 4277.

Ensure you book through a reputable company who have well maintained motorcycles and who offer personal liability insurance and physical damage insurance  whilst the motorcycle is in your care.

The Smartraveller website has information about local travel and advice on overseas road safety on their website. Just look up the country you are travelling to for the 'local travel' advice.
We do not cover your liability arising out of your ownership, possession or use of a mechanically propelled vehicle (this means you are not covered if you injure someone or cause damage to someone’s property whilst the motorcycle is in your care).
Also, we do not cover theft of or damage to the motorcycle itself, nor do we cover the insurance excess if you are hiring a motorcycle.
References to motorcycles include mopeds, scooters and any other motorised bike.
Last Updated: Jun 18, 2014 04:00PM EST

Talk to us

From Australia 1300 787 376


Call +61 2 9234 3113
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found